This page lists various houserules that I am thinking about and haven't consolidated elsewhere yet, as well as simple changes that don't really fall into a broader category.
Basic rule tweaks
- New status effect: Baffled: The target cannot activate powers or abilities for the duration. [This effect already exists, for example in the Silencer's Disable ability, but I would like to see it used more and intend to include it in some of my homebrew under this name to simplify descriptions.]
The Flaw system is meant as a way for players to choose their first General Perk at level 1 and replaces the one they get at level 3. It can act like negative Core Paths or give you Hindrance or restrictions on certain tasks or in some situations. For groups that aren't used to designing complex characters, it can also help GMs encourage their players to think about ways to make their characters more lifelike. On the other hand, for groups that have already mastered that aspect of role-playing, choosing Flaws that have more tangible/mechanical effects will help avoid the feeling of just giving your players freebies for something they should already be doing.
Flaws should always be discussed with the GM to gauge their relative "weight" and ensure they aren't too broad or specific, like Core Paths. More benign ones could be combined to justify the benefit of an early Perk. The following are just a few examples to get you thinking about your options.
- Hard of Hearing: You suffer [-HL or Hindrance] on skill checks that require keen listening.
- Poor Sight: You suffer [-HL or Hindrance] on skill checks that require keen sight.
- Morbidly Curious: You must make an MR roll [TN 13?] to resist lures or interacting with unknown, dangerous objects/creatures.
- Social Anxiety: You become nervous and clumsy around a certain type of people (a social caste, age group, figures of authority, anyone you consider attractive, etc.) and suffer Hindrance to any skill check made in their presence.
- Fear of Heights: You actively avoid activities such as climbing and become Hindered whenever you find yourself close to the edge of an elevated area.
- Impulse: You feel an urge to do something that is usually inconvenient, illegal or wholly dangerous when in a certain situation. Your GM may require an MR roll [TN 13?] to resist this impulse when your character finds itself in those situations. Examples: stealing, insulting certain types of people, disregarding hierarchy, riling up every animal you come across, touching people's beards, jumping in puddles (all kinds of puddles).
The following list is just a personal reminder and/or foretaste of additional content I would like to design and share here.
- General Perks
- More playable races
- Afflicted body modifications as Artifacts (especially for character creation)
- Advanced racial progression options (racial perks/powers)
- Add-on classes (kind of like multiclassing, but using specific kits that can be added to any base class) (in progress)
- An Artifact repository (contributions welcome)
- A bestiary (I need to figure out how/whether to integrate it with the NPC Creator) (contributions welcome)